I fixed some long standing issues with images in Lua Learning today.
One issue was that if you tried to load a second tutorial before the images of the first tutorial finished loading, the first tutorial’s images would get thrown into the mix of the second tutorial. This was due to me being an idiot and loading asynchronously without actually handling async loads.
Another issue was that it constantly hit the Http limit if you tried loading a lot of images. This is still something I’m working on solving more holistically, but as a small improvement I added caching so it’ll make fewer requests overall.
Another issue is that failures weren’t very clear- it would just show a broken image icon. Now, the failures are far less ambiguous. If it’s an invalid image ID, it’ll display a broken image icon. If it’s due to the Http request limit being hit, it’ll just say that. Much better UX when the user can tell what went wrong.
I also sat down and went through about 100 tutorial submissions for Lua Learning, and 9 of them were accepted! That’s actually a surprisingly high ratio compared to the usual submission batches.
Not directly relevant to any project, but I ordered custom boatbomber merch today!