For my newest project, I happened to find myself leading a team of 5 (including me). This is not something I have experience with, so we are facing organization/communication hiccups that I am looking to solve.
Between the 5 of us, we have
- 3 programmers
- 2 modelers
- 2 artists
- 1 animator
- 1 musician
We are making the game entirely in one team create server. We are using ClickUp to keep track of features and communicating through Discord. Holding team meetings is difficult because we all live in different time zones and either work, go to school, or both.
- People are having trouble finding things to do. I purposefully didn’t assign tasks because I wanted them to choose themselves, but that doesn’t seem to be working.
- The progress of a feature is unknown by others at any given point. This is exacerbated by the lack of team meetings.
- Lack of motivation!! We are currently on a “break” because I had to focus on exams for a week and apparently if I don’t work then nobody else will.
- I don’t know what the hell I’m doing. We’re just working willy-nilly, so some sort of structure would be helpful. I’ve heard of scrum, agile, and sprints. Should we be doing any of those?
- I want to set a 2-hour window every night where I will be available on voice chat for people to join and work if they’re available. A former boss did this and I quite liked having company while working.
- Lots of sub-tasks for every feature on ClickUp to keep better track of progress.
- Mandatory script documentation
I know I just threw a lot of words at you. I would appreciate any feedback regarding the specific problems/ideas above, but general managerial advice would be great too. What are some things you do with your team that work well?